Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Thankful to Begin Again

Welcome to the February edition of the Simply Living Blog Carnival - New Beginnings cohosted by Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children, Laura at Authentic Parenting, Jennifer at True Confessions of a Real Mommy, and Joella at Fine and Fair. This month's topic, our writers consider where they are with their New Year's Resolutions or new ventures of 2013. Please check out the links to posts by our other participants at the end of this post.
***
When I first thought of what to write for this post, I had so many ideas.  Our family can define "New beginnings" in so many ways that I've lost count.  Since the new year, the babies and I have been able to start with a routine.  Not necessarily the EASY routine that so many veteran moms rave about, but it's developed partly out of our natural rhythms and partly out of just being in survival mode, so I know it's what works best for us.

They say consistency is key, so I've been trying to keep the routine in place but still be flexible with it--that doesn't mean I always accomplish it.  The best example I can think of is the bedtime routine.  We take the babies upstairs to their room about 30 minutes before I want them to go to bed.  We "unwind," I play some relaxing music and give them each a massage.  We usually read a story and then I bring the babies into our room where they sleep in a crib next to our bed.  
Cupcake is a good sport and might protest a little, but will usually fall asleep quickly.  Astro is another story--he fights sleep big time.  The other day he actually fell asleep mid-cry, then jerked himself awake again.  I stay with him and nurse or rock to sleep.  On the good nights, he might wake himself up but will go back to sleep for a few hours.  On the better nights, he'll just sleep until the next feeding.  On the worse nights, I'm nursing and rocking for a really, really long time. 
One night I realized, tomorrow is just another day.  Ok, you can look at that two ways.  One is the frazzled mom in despair way.  The other way is just to think of it as another chance.  If it didn't go right today, I can try again tomorrow.  It's cheesy maybe, and I've heard it so many times before, but I've never actually believed it until the babies.  They won't hold a bad day against me, and tomorrow might go perfectly smooth. 

Then last week, I read this heartbreaking story from Julie at The Progressive Parent.  Her 15 month old boy Patrick died suddenly--no warning--in his sleep over the weekend.  I was reading this on my phone in the dark next to my sleeping husband and babies and it just struck me.  I can't fathom waking up without one of my little babies; it's the absolute worst thing I think that could happen.  I feel so much for Julie--please visit her page, read her story and learn about SIDS (SUCD). 
My babies have taught me that tomorrow is another chance to begin again if today didn't go off right. Patrick's story is a reminder that tomorrow is never a given.  


***
Thank you for visiting the Simply Living Blog Carnival cohosted by Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children, Laura at Authentic Parenting, Jennifer at True Confessions of a Real Mommy, and Joella at Fine and Fair. Read about how others are incorporating simple living into their lives via new beginnings. We hope you will join us next month, as the Simply Living Blog Carnival focuses on Clearing the Clutter!
   
  • Using Special Time to Simply Connect - Amber at Heart Wanderings begins to focus on simply connecting with each of her children for a few minutes of Special Time each day. A deeper connection and sense of joy, softening of emotional outbursts, and less sibling rivalry have resulted from this practice.
  • Redefining Simplicity - Living within our needs - Survivor from Surviving Mexico talks about how moving from a first-world country to a third world country has changed her family's perception of simplicity. Adapting to this new life has not been easy, but can be done with an attitude of gratitude.
  • Changes - Sustainable mom writes about how she is bringing back a beat to a rhythm that has been falling apart.
  • Listening to my Kids - Christy at Eco Journey In The Burbs is seeking peace and freedom after over-scheduling her daughters.
  • Thankful to Begin Again - Mercedes @ Project Procastinot learns a lesson from her twins.
  • Changes for a New Year - Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children is concentrating on making small changes this year in an effort to make better habits.
  • Parenting Two: A Fresh Start - Joella at Fine and Fair embraces the transition as her family grows as a new beginning by being gentle with herself and realistic with her expectations.
  • Finding Balance - At Authentic Parenting, Laura looks at where she's gotten fighting depression and aspiring to a more harmonious life.
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...